BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE | FOR SENIOR DOGS
FRESH FREE-RUN CHICKEN & TURKEY, WILD-CAUGHT FISH, AND CAGE-FREE EGGS
SENIOR DOGS ARE BEST FED A DIET RICH IN PROTEIN TO PROMOTE LEAN MUSCLE MASS AND PEAK HEALTH.
With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN Senior nourishes dogs according to their evolutionary and biological needs.
Free of rendered poultry meals, 1/3 of meat ingredients are from dehydrated chicken and turkey (air-dried at a low temperature from fresh meat) for a concentrated source of nourishing protein.
2/3 of meat ingredients are FRESH (refrigerated, without preservatives) or RAW (flash-frozen, without preservatives), including the top 10 ingredients.
Nutrient-dense WholePrey ratios of fresh meat, organs, and cartilage or bone, plus fresh cage-free eggs provide a natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs.
Infusions of gently freeze-dried liver enhance flavor and palatability naturally, giving ORIJEN a delicious taste that dogs crave.
IS YOUR DOG's FOOD BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE?
Dogs evolved as hunters and, just like their wild cousins, their teeth, jaws, and digestive system are all adapted for a meat-concentrated diet that’s rich in fresh meat and meat diversity. Biologically Appropriate foods mirror the natural diet and answer three meat questions:
ORIJEN leads its class in premium meat inclusions.
All from animals from federally inspected facilities prior to inclusion in our foods.
2/3 of meats are FRESH or RAW and loaded with goodness.
1/3 is dried at low temperature for a premium protein source.
A variety of meats in WholePrey ratios supply nutrients naturally, dramatically reducing the need for synthetic supplements.
ONLY 1 SUPPLEMENT— ZINC
In nature there are no synthetic supplements, so dogs and wolves derive their complete nutritional needs naturally by consuming whole animals which contain all of the nutrients they need to thrive. That’s why you won’t find long lists of synthetics in ORIJEN dog foods. Loaded with richly nourishing ratios of fresh meat, organs, and cartilage or bone, plus fresh cage-free eggs, ORIJEN provides a natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive.
INGREDIENTS WE LOVE FROM PEOPLE WE TRUST
Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, Atlantic ﬂounder, cage-free eggs, whole Atlantic mackerel, chicken liver, turkey liver, chicken heart, turkey heart, whole Atlantic herring, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, dehydrated mackerel, whole dehydrated chicken liver, dehydrated egg, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, whole green peas, chicken necks, chicken kidney, whole green lentils, whole navy beans, whole chickpeas, lentil fiber, dried pumpkin, natural chicken ﬂavor, pollock oil, chicken fat, ground chicken bone, chicken cartilage, turkey cartilage, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, mixed tocopherols (preservative), freeze-dried chicken liver, dried kelp, zinc proteinate, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, pumpkin seeds, sunﬂower seeds, copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.Meet Our Suppliers
NOURISH AS NATURE INTENDED
Your senior dog shares his eating anatomy with the gray wolf, which means he’s evolved for a diet rich and varied in fresh meat, protein, and fat – not highly processed carbohydrates and starches.
Crude protein (min.) 38% Crude fat (min.) 15% Crude fiber (max.) 8% Moisture (max.) 12% DHA (min.) 0.2% EPA (min.) 0.2% Calcium (min.) 1.4% Phosphorus (min.) 1.0% Omega-6 fatty acids* (min.) 3% Omega-3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.8% Glucosamine* (min.) 600 mg/kg Chondroitin sulfate* (min.) 1000 mg/kg Total Microorganisms* (min.) (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus casei) 100MM CFU/lb
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
- ORIJEN foods mirror the natural diet, incorporating meat, organs, and cartilage or bone in ratios that deliver nutrients naturally and limit supplementation to zinc. Vitamins
Vitamin A 15.0 kIU/kg Vitamin D3 1,200 IU/kg Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Thiamine (B1) 20.0 mg/kg Riboflavin (B2) 15.0 mg/kg Pan. Acid (B5) 25.0 mg/kg Niacin (B3) 110 mg/kg Pyridoxine (B6) 20.0 mg/kg Folic Acid 3.00 mg/kg Vitamin B12 0.20 mg/kg Choline 2,000 mg/kg
Potassium 0.90% Sodium 0.40% Chloride 0.50% Iron 120 mg/kg Copper 20.0 mg/kg Manganese 15.0 mg/kg Magnesium 0.10% Zinc 200 mg/kg Iodine 1.50 mg/kg Selenium 0.90 mg/kg
- In nature, dogs and wolves meet their nutritional needs naturally by consuming whole prey animals and whole fish. Similarly, ORIJEN provides essential amino acids from natural and highly bio-available sources.
Arginine 2.58% Histidine 0.99% Isoleucine 1.76% Leucine 3.03% Lysine 3.02% Methionine 0.90% Phenylalanine 1.71% Threonine 1.65% Tryptophan 0.44% Valine 2.04% Cystine 0.36%
- Botanicals mimic the natural diet, acting as tonics and builders to strengthen organs, aid digestion, and eliminate toxins by stimulating physiological processes, like cleansing the liver.
Chicory Root 200 mg/kg Turmeric 200 mg/kg Sarsaparilla Root 150 mg/kg Althea (Marshmallow) Root 150 mg/kg Rosehips 150 mg/kg Juniper Berries 150 mg/kg
RICH IN MEAT & PROTEIN Made with 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN Senior features a richly nourishing and Biologically Appropriate protein level of 38% to closely replicate your senior dog’s natural diet. MODERATE IN ANIMAL FAT Animal fat is essential for peak health. That’s why ORIJEN Senior features naturally occurring, non-rendered fats from our fresh poultry, fish, and eggs. DHA AND EPA FROM FRESH FISH Fresh saltwater fish are a Biologically Appropriate source of DHA and EPA, which are essential for your dog’s immune and nervous systems. DHA and EPA are not available from plant sources, such as flax, coconut, or sunflower. GLUCOSAMINE & CHONDROITIN ORIJEN’s fresh poultry, meat, and fish provide a rich and natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin, so no synthetic sources are added to ORIJEN foods.
YOUR DOG IS UNIQUE
Your senior dog is unique and his feeding requirements will vary with his environment, age, and activity. That’s why we suggest starting with the guides below, and then monitoring his weight and adjusting portions as needed. Feed twice daily and remember to always keep fresh, clean water available.
† Use a standard 8-ounce measuring cup. Serve dry or lightly moistened. See your veterinarian regularly. To help maintain freshness, we recommend sealing the bag tightly and storing it in a cool, dry location. ORIJEN Senior Dog is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for Adult Maintenance.
ORIJEN Senior provides more calories from protein and fat and fewer from carbohydrates, providing a calorie distribution that mirrors a natural diet. Metabolizable energy is 3630 kcal/kg (414 kcal per 8oz. cup) with 42% from protein, 21% from vegetables and fruit, and 37% from fat.
OUR BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE PHILOSOPHY
The gray wolf is the ancestor and closest relative of all domestic dogs. While years of breeding have produced hundreds of ‘different-looking wolves’, the internal workings of wolves and dogs remain unchanged, so it’s no surprise that their food requirements remain the same too. Our five Biologically Appropriate principles are simple and mirror the freshness and variety of meat that dogs have evolved to eat.
- All dogs have sharp teeth and a body designed to metabolize protein and fat from meat. ORIJEN is designed to nourish your senior dog according to his biological needs.
- 85% quality animal ingredients (2/3 fresh or raw and 1/3 gently dehydrated)
- 38% richly nourishing meat protein
- NO gluten or grains
- Meat is the foundation of award-winning ORIJEN foods.
- 2/3 of the meat ingredients are fresh or raw, supplying your senior dog with essential nutrients in their most natural and nourishing form
- 1/3 are dehydrated at a low temperature for a concentrated source of nourishing protein that cannot be supplied by fresh meat alone
- ORIJEN is free of rendered chicken or turkey meals, which are replaced with dehydrated chicken and turkey
- In nature, dogs benefit from an assortment of meat. This variety is often lost in conventional senior foods which typically feature a single animal ingredient, such as chicken or lamb, that is highly processed and seldom fresh. That’s why award-winning ORIJEN Senior features a rich diversity of fresh meat in Biologically Appropriate WholePrey ratios to nourish your dog’s peak growth and development:
- Fresh free-run chicken from Kentucky farms
- Fresh free-run turkey from Indiana farms
- Fresh, whole yellowtail flounder, mackerel, and herring, wild-caught from New England’s icy cold Atlantic waters
- Mother Nature matched the nutrients in whole prey animals to perfectly meet a carnivore’s dietary needs since predatory animals like wolves and wildcats, consume the whole animal. WholePrey represents the evolution of ORIJEN foods, incorporating fresh meat, organs, and cartilage or bone in ratios that mirror nature and eliminate the need for long lists of synthetic supplements. The WholePrey diet is a nutritional treasure:
- Meat – essential for protein and fat as well as Vitamins A, B, D, and K, copper, chromium, folic acid, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium, and zinc.
- Organs – packed with virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive including vitamins, minerals, healthy fat, and amino acids.
- Cartilage and Edible Bone – a rich source of minerals including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium in a natural form that your dog’s body can easily absorb.
- While dogs have no nutritional requirement for carbohydrates, some foods still contain large amounts of potato and tapioca. Biologically Appropriate ORIJEN Senior is a protein-rich food featuring only fresh vegetables and fruit which release sugar slowly, dramatically reducing the potential for fat storage.